child custody
family law
need help


You Need A Chatswood Paternity Lawyer That Will Fight For You

If a couple is not married at the time the mother gives birth to a child and support or time with the child becomes an issue, or any time there is a question as to whom the biological father of a child is, a paternity action may be necessary. A paternity action can:

  • Establish the child’s biological father;
  • Establish the child’s legal father (if different from the biological father);
  • Establish parental rights where none existed before; or
  • Establish a child support obligation.

Whether you are a mother seeking to establish the paternity or you are alleged to be the father of a child, the skilled paternity lawyers from Chatswood Family Lawyers are here to assist you in achieving your objectives.


Only a child’s mother, a man who believes he is the biological father of a child, or the child him- or herself can file an application asking a court to determine paternity. When a court determines paternity, it establishes who is the legal father of the child. The legal father has parental rights and responsibilities including the right to parenting time, the right to make an application for time with the child, and the responsibility to support his child. The legal father may or may not be the same man as the child’s biological father.

A man is a child’s legal father if:
  • The man was married to the child’s mother when the child was born or when the child was conceived;
  • The man married the child’s mother after the child’s birth and is listed with his written permission as the child’s father on the child’s birth certificate;
  • A court order which establishes that the man is the child’s legal father;
  • The man has signed a statutory declaration under the Oaths Act of an Australian state acknowledging that he is the child’s father;
  • The man agreed to adopt the child or made an arrangement for the child to be born as a result of an artificial conception procedure or surrogacy arrangement;
  • The man is named as the child’s parent in a register of births or parentage information kept under Australian law.

The law does not require that you engage a lawyer to file an application to determine paternity; however, having experienced legal representation may be in your best interest if:

  • You believe you are the biological father but the child’s mother does not agree;
  • You believe you are not the biological father or legal father of the child but the child’s mother disagrees;
  • You have evidence that you are the child’s biological father but some other man also claims to be the child’s father; or
  • You think you might be the child’s father and want to have a definitive ruling on the matter.

Additionally, a determination of paternity can permanently affect your legal rights and responsibilities. A dedicated paternity lawyer from Chatswood Family Lawyers is able to analyse your situation, help you understand the potential legal ramifications of a paternity determination, and guide you every step of the way.


If a child’s mother accuses you of being the father of a child when in fact you are not, we can help you defend against such an accusation and protect your legal interests. To schedule a consultation, contact Chatswood Family Lawyers online, by email at or by phone on (02) 9412 4500 for help with your paternity action.


To request a consultation, please fill out all fields, and we will follow up with you momentarily to set up an appointment